I love exercising; do you?
Previously, I have had difficulties tracking my heart rate progress. I have tried heart rate monitors with and without chest straps.
Believe it or not, the strapless work wonders!
How about if I shared with you the ten best?
Meanwhile, the winner of the best after 48 hours of research is Fitbit Versa 2 Health and Fitness Smartwatch with Heart Rate
Here’s a rundown of what we’ll provide in this Best Heart Rate Monitors Without Chest Strap review:
First, we’ll share and compare the 10 Best monitors you’ll find useful.
Second, we’ll take a look at some special features (pros), drawbacks (cons) you might need to know about.
And finally, we’ll provide you with a detailed buyer’s guide to make a more informed decision.
10 Best Heart Rate Monitors Without Chest Strap
- Fitbit Versa 2 Health and Fitness Smartwatch with Heart Rate
- Fitbit Inspire HR Heart Rate and Fitness Tracker
- Apple Watch Series 5
- Amazfit Bip Smartwatch by Huami
- Garmin Vívoactive 4, GPS Smartwatch
- Garmin Forerunner 945
- Polar OH1+ Optical Heart Rate Sensor
- Polar A370 Fitness Tracker
- Garmin Vívosmart 4, Activity and Fitness Tracker
- Wahoo TICKR FIT Heart Rate Monitor
Table of Contents
- Best Heart Rate Monitors Without Chest Strap Comparison Table
- Best Heart Rate Monitors Without Chest Strap – Top 10 Reviewed
- 1. Fitbit Versa 2 Health and Fitness Smartwatch with Heart Rate
- Check Price on Amazon
- 2. Fitbit Inspire HR Heart Rate and Fitness Tracker
- Check Price on Amazon
- 3. Apple Watch Series 5
- Check Price on Amazon
- 4. Amazfit Bip Smartwatch by Huami
- Check Price on Amazon
- 5. Garmin Vívoactive 4, GPS Smartwatch
- Check Price on Amazon
- 6. Garmin Forerunner 945
- Check Price on Amazon
- 7. Polar OH1+ Optical Heart Rate Sensor
- Check Price on Amazon
- 8. Polar A370 Fitness Tracker
- Check Price on Amazon
- 9. Garmin Vívosmart 4, Activity and Fitness Tracker
- Check Price on Amazon
- 10. Wahoo TICKR FIT Heart Rate Monitor
- Check Price on Amazon
- Best Heart Rate Monitor Without Chest Strap Buyers Guide. What to Look for Before Spending Your Money
- 1. Price
- 2. Storage and Space
- 3. Build/Construction
- 4. HD Display – Heart Rate Monitor
- 5. Weight
- 6. Resistance and Workout Programs
- 7. Compatibility
- 8. Warranty
- Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
- Bottom Line
Best Heart Rate Monitors Without Chest Strap Comparison Table
|Product Image||Product Name||Buy|
|Top||Fitbit Versa 2 Health and Fitness Smartwatch with Heart Rate||Buy on Amazon|
|Fitbit Inspire HR Heart Rate and Fitness Tracker||Buy on Amazon|
|Apple Watch Series 5||Buy on Amazon|
|Amazfit Bip Smartwatch by Huami||Buy on Amazon|
|Garmin Vívoactive 4, GPS Smartwatch||Buy on Amazon|
|Garmin Forerunner 945||Buy on Amazon|
|Polar OH1+ Optical Heart Rate Sensor||Buy on Amazon|
|Polar A370 Fitness Tracker||Buy on Amazon|
|Garmin Vívosmart 4, Activity and Fitness Tracker||Buy on Amazon|
|Wahoo TICKR FIT Heart Rate Monitor Armband||Buy on Amazon|
Best Heart Rate Monitors Without Chest Strap – Top 10 Reviewed
1. Fitbit Versa 2 Health and Fitness Smartwatch with Heart Rate
Do you want to track your heart rate 24/7? Fitbit is your monitor. Instincts led me to try this monitor brand, and I never regretted my decision.
The heart rate monitor uses the Amazon Alexa built-in. I could get quick news and information.
Besides, I could control nearly everything through the sound of my voice. This connected me to the world in a better way.
Also, I had the monitor work for me for 24 hours. Here I was able to track my sleep pattern and the heart rate. Eventually, I understood my sleep quality each night better.
I fell in love with the large display – reading the information was quick and a glance away.
But, I had to charge the monitor frequently since the live display takes more power. Generally, the battery serves you for 6 hours, depending on the activities.
Additionally, entertainment was a click away.
Through this monitor, you can control your Spotify app, download Pandora stations, and even add dizzier playlists.
Besides, you can store and play over 300 songs on your wrist.
In addition to heart rate monitoring, the monitor allowed me to track steps, distance, hourly activity, calories burned, active minutes, and floors.
Lastly, I synchronized the small monitor with my phone, thus possible to get calls, texts, view calendars, and receive smartphone app notifications.
- Works 24/7
- Has a built-in Alexa
- Plenty of music to entertain
- Hands-free phone operation
- Versatile for other exercise activity monitoring
- Batteries only last for 6 hours
- The Syncing range is only up to 6.1 meters.
2. Fitbit Inspire HR Heart Rate and Fitness Tracker
Do you like narrower trackers?
I couldn’t resist the temptation of a bulk-free feeling. I vowed to acquire the Fitbit Inspire. When I compared this to Fitbit Versa 2, it was a bit narrower and almost invisible on the wrist.
Other than the size, this thing is super functional! It helped me through 24/7 heart rate monitoring. Besides, I could accurately track my calorie burn during workouts. This flexibility is what I really liked.
Even so, the quality left me wordless. Sincerely, I value products that feature unmatched quality.
Luckily, this monitor comes from the trusted durable elastomer material. Trust me; you will love how it ages with you!
With this monitor, you will get a deep insight into your trackable sleep patterns consisting of light, deep & REM sleep stages.
Can you trust this band on a five-day trip? Well, the battery lasts for 5 days and takes only 2 hours to charge fully.
Isn’t that something to celebrate? Therefore, worry less when you have this master on your wrist during your vacation.
Additionally, this band automatically records and stores your workout data, so it’s possible to review and set new targets.
In general, this model is Bluetooth-enabled, and it is water-resistant to 50 meters. But, never use it in a hot tub or sauna.
- Tracks nearly everything during your workouts
- Automatically records the workout session
- Made from quality materials
- The battery lasts for 5 days
- 24/7 monitoring
- Display not wide
- Display light time is very low
3. Apple Watch Series 5
You’ve come across Apple devices, right?
Well, other than the popular iPhone, Apple has a smart tracker for you. I wanted to know if this thing will work swiftly with my Apple iPhone.
Therefore I had to acquire it. Efficiency and reliability top my list of priorities. So this is what I noticed!
The Silver Aluminum Case with White Sport Band was the most attractive thing on this monitor. I couldn’t go a minute without glancing on my wrist.
I almost got carried away in excitement. Expect this on your first days of use.
The retina display never sleeps, and this is why you will see every detail as it happens. Thanks to the 30% larger screen.
It features an EEG app for easy checking of your heart rhythm.
Additionally, the watch is your health partner and cares about your ears. So, it alerts you when decibels are getting higher. Therefore, you can easily control the noise to prevent hearing loss.
Ladies, this is your smartwatch. You will track the menstrual cycle by keying in the required information. And with a tap, you can access the details.
Furthermore, this monitor has advanced workout metrics, GPS, and water-resistant up to 50 meters. You can, therefore, trust it for a variety of exercises at whichever places you prefer.
- Stream and add favorite music
- You can download apps on the go
- Stay connected without reaching your phone
- Tracks your activity progress through the day
- Has compass and ground elevation for a sense of direction
- It is expensive
- Compatible with iPhone only
4. Amazfit Bip Smartwatch by Huami
If you are a phone addict and your device runs out of power, you know how it feels, isn’t it?
Now, picture this; you are in the middle of your workout, and the battery in your monitor runs out. How does that impact your life?
As an exercise enthusiast, I once had such an experience, and that’s why I vowed to get a device with a reliable battery run time. Guess what! I got the Amazfit Bip with 30 days of battery life. So in one year, you will only charge it 12 times.
Still, on the battery life, you will need only 2.5 hours to charge your device to full. This is less time, isn’t it?
The monitor has an optical heart rate monitoring and built-in GPS. Therefore, it is possible to track daily step count, calories burned, distance travelled, and sleep quality.
It supports 4 sports modes, i.e., outdoor, treadmill, walking, and general workouts. You will have adequate insights into your daily activities.
Additionally, you can sync the monitor with your phone so that all the alerts can reach you instantly. This means that you are always updated.
Finally, yet importantly, the device comes with a large display and works with both Google Android and Apple iOS systems.
- 30-day battery life
- Has a built-in GPS
- Supports 4 sports modes
- Comes in four colors to choose from
- Get updates from your phone on this device
- The colors are not that vibrant
- No connection features to Mi Fit app
5. Garmin Vívoactive 4, GPS Smartwatch
What’s your intention when buying a monitor?
Well, before I decided to buy this monitor, I had challenges tracking my overall workout progress.
Now, after acquiring this monitor and testing it out, I was able to accurately track my energy levels, Pulse Ox, respiration, menstrual cycle, stress, and sleep quality. That met and even exceeded my initial expectations.
Additionally, I was able to listen to my favorite tracks, and this boosted my workout confidence. Luckily, it’s possible to stream the music and even download it for offline entertainment.
It features over 20 preloaded GPS and indoor sports apps. You can now use it everywhere and get the kind of feeling you deserve.
Furthermore, you have the animated workouts on your wrist. I loved the cardio, strength, yoga, and pilates animated workouts, which motivated me to do more in the right way for my health.
The battery is good. You can use it for 8 days in smartwatch mode. When you switch to GPS mode and music mode, then prepare for 6 hours run time.
When I connected this monitor with the connect IQ store, I managed to get personalized watch faces, apps, and widgets.
- Battery lasts for 8 days
- Offers amazing versatility
- Supports GPS and indoor sports apps
- Use the connect IQ store to get an app to personalize the monitor
- Safety and emergency feature available, e.g., real-time location to the emergency contact.
- Screen sensitivity could be better
- Too big for those who prefer thin models
6. Garmin Forerunner 945
Are you looking for a smartwatch with music?
Sometimes exercise requires motivation. I thought of the most affordable way to stay active while exercising.
After a series of ideals, this Garmin Forerunner 945 clicked on my mind. I recalled one of my great friends explaining to me how it works for him.
To believe his theory, I got this monitor. It has a premium GPS hence easy to use everywhere for tracking your progress.
What’s even more? It has music! I downloaded plenty of songs from various sites, including Amazon and Spotify.
The model has performance monitoring features. These include the Vo2 Max and training status. It is possible to adjust the status of your training effects. This keeps you in a customizable training mood.
Tired of bulky cash and cards? Well, the monitor features Garmin Pay contactless payment where you settle bills easier than before.
I liked the onboard maps, which guided my track. I was afraid of losing direction. This kept me focused on my workout.
Additionally, the watch has safety and tracking features like the incident detection that sends your real-time location to emergency contacts.
It is indeed without a doubt that this monitor is your security gadget.
Finally, the battery lasts for 2 weeks in a smartwatch mode and around 10 hours in GPS mode.
- Has music
- Features maps for direction
- Supports the Garmin Pay contactless payment
- Has performance monitoring features like the Vo2 Max
- Battery lasts between 10 hours-2weeks depending on the mode
- The wrist HR Can be a bit slow
- Battery life isn’t as good as other competitors
7. Polar OH1+ Optical Heart Rate Sensor
Are you in need of a compact and versatile optical heart rate sensor?
The Polar OH1+ Optical Heart Rate Sensor could be your precise option. I like the way it helps towards the effort to achieve fitness goals.
The Bluetooth connectivity allows you to stream and connect to a variety of exercise equipment. Henceforth, you will use it on multiple fitness tools in countless sports.
It is thin and small hence easy to carry while you move about. Besides, the monitor has a built-in memory for 200 hours. After training, you can synchronize with the Polar Flow via the Polar Beat app and review all your training progress.
You can use the unit during your swimming sessions. Just snap it on the swimming goggle strap clip and enjoy the swimming uninterruptedly.
Wear it either on your lower or upper arm and feel the comfort and convenience. Also, you can remove it anytime and anywhere.
Lastly, you can record and share experiences on social media with the polar community. I found this effective as other users’ experiences boosted my morale in training.
- Water-resistant up to 30 m
- Supports Bluetooth connectivity
- Versatile for a variety of exercises
- Comfortable and convenient to wear and remove
- Has a built-in memory for up to 200 hours of training
- Battery life not reliable (4-6 hours)
- Bluetooth connectivity sometimes not steady
- A small profile hence not suitable for those who like massive profiles
8. Polar A370 Fitness Tracker
Through the twists and turns of everyday life, you need something that can intelligently track your heart rate, isn’t it? I would choose the Polar A370 over and over.
I liked how it tracked my fitness journey through 24 hours. I got valued insights into my sleep patterns and, after that, made a few adjustments. Now, I have improved the sleep cycle.
Equipped with a reliable GPS, I was able to track my progress and even the route. Besides, I received timely notifications on my monitor display. I could also receive calls with ease and respond to social media notifications on time.
The monitor is easy to wear and remove since it features a soft material construction with a buckle. Therefore, you feel comfort and convenience all at once.
Pair this monitor to your favorite fitness app and monitor your fitness progress. Also, the fitness records are available so you can send it to the authorized third party to suit the services required.
Finally, you have access to workout guidance so that you can crush your fitness goals much easier. If you need a cost-effective polar brand, then this Polar A370 won’t break your bank.
- Easy to wear and remove
- There is a workout guidance
- Tracks heart rate through 24 hours
- Features a GPS for tracking your progress and location
- Fitness results can be shared with authorized third parties
- Very thin for some people
- Sometimes restarts randomly during training
- The interface feels like a first-generation device.
9. Garmin Vívosmart 4, Activity and Fitness Tracker
What can you do with a slim, smart activity tracker? Well, Garmin has a special place when it comes to the production of fitness trackers. They offer not only quality but also the functionality.
If you are yet to try one of the top monitors from this company, then I recommend the Garmin Vívosmart 4, Activity and Fitness Tracker. The slim profile looks stylish on the hand and will not feel as bulky as the massive types.
It also features an easy to read bright display hence useful even during the night. This isn’t a medical device but comes with a sleep monitoring function and also capable of gauging blood oxygen saturation levels.
Furthermore, the device has dedicated activity timers hence possible to track a variety of fitness activities.
The silicone and lens materials used to make this device are a long-term investment. Therefore, you can buy it confidently.
If you are an Android user, then brace for all the alerts and notifications from calls, texts, and more.
Also, you can connect to your smartphone for you to get the GPS tracking during your outdoor walks and runs.
Lastly, the battery lasts for up to 7 days before another charge. But if you have connected on other devices, then the power might take hours.
- Connects to your Android device for alerts and notifications
- Connect to a smartphone for GPS operation
- The battery runs you through 7 days
- Has an easy to read bright display
- Slim profile hence looks classy
- Connects with Android only
- Very slim for those who prefer a wide display
- The battery when not on watch mode doesn’t last
10. Wahoo TICKR FIT Heart Rate Monitor
At first, I doubted this device because it had a dull appearance. But who am I to judge without testing? I was wrong.
Now, after acquiring this device, I locked it safely on my wrist. The device was able to track real-time heart rate, training zone, and the number of calories burnt.
It integrated perfectly with other training apps via Bluetooth. I could even connect it to my smartphone, tablet, plus other devices. All these worked perfectly.
According to the manufacturer, this monitor works with 50+ Smartphone Apps. I have only tested a few, which are working correctly.
I picked them randomly, and I guess the rest have been engineered to work well.
You can also record your workout and upload to Strava. You can access it anytime you need and use it wherever you want.
- Connects with the phone to receive calls and updates
- Tracks real-time heart rate
- Works with 50+ Smartphone Apps
- You can upload data to your favorite training platform like Strava
- Features Bluetooth and ANT+
- Can be complicated for beginners
- The strap isn’t durable
- Slim display
Best Heart Rate Monitor Without Chest Strap Buyers Guide. What to Look for Before Spending Your Money
The pricing depends on the level of training. In most cases, the entry-level type has fewer features hence less costly. But, the advanced level types have more advanced features and will be expensive. Check your budget and the level of use.
2. Storage and Space
Most of the heart rate monitors without chest strap are small and hence occupy minimal spaces when storing. This is an advantage hence the need to have one if your space is limited.
How long do you plan to use the monitor? The type of construction matters a lot. The majority feature a rubber bracelet construction and a glass or plastic display. All the materials used in the construction should be able to last you for ages.
4. HD Display – Heart Rate Monitor
The display matters a lot. Are you able to view the information in a high display? Picking the model with an HD quality is good for the eyes. The results interpretation is accurate.
Most of the heart rate monitors without chest strap are lightweight and mount easily on your wrist. However, there are some with advanced features that require a string processor, which might increase the weight. Therefore, which weight are you comfortable with?
6. Resistance and Workout Programs
Find out if the model is water-resistant, which means you can have it on while on your swimming program. Some programs require additional features.
For instance, you will need a calorie-consumption calculation, a built-in stopwatch, a lap counter or an interval timer, a GPS with altimeter, and other special functions to run additional programs.
Find out if the device is compatible with other programs. Can you connect it to your phone so that you can receive on-time notifications from your other devices? Is its Bluetooth enabled to help share data?
Check to see the manufacturer’s warranty. It should be there for you to buy confidently. There is a limited warranty and unlimited warranty. The number of months or years given matters a lot.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
#What is a good heart rate for my age?
The average heart rate for age 10 and above while resting should be between 60 and 100 beats per minute. But athletes can have a resting heart rate below 60bpm.
#Are the wrist heart rate monitors accurate?
According to runnersworld.com, a wrist-based heart rate monitor are less bulky compared to the check strap types. But, they might register less accurate results depending on the activity you are engaged in.
#What is an alarming heart rate?
A heart resting over 100bpm is dangerous. This means that the heart is overworking. You might end up with a stroke or cardiac arrest. See a doctor in case your heart rate is over 100bpm.
#How do the wrist Monitors work?
They shine a light on your wrist and measure the variations in blood volume within the vessels. After that, the device can estimate the changes in your heart rate through pulse detection.
#How do you clean a heart rate monitor?
Clean the bracelet using a damp cloth. The front section, which includes the display, should be cleaned carefully. If your monitor is a touch screen type, then more care is required to keep it running correctly.
Finally, we have the ten best heart rate monitors without a chest strap. While choosing the type, we consider the ease of use, portability, and quality. Openly, all ten devices met our expectations. Besides, the types feature advanced tech features like GPS and wireless connectivity.
The reason you need one or more from the list above is this: the monitors have the best features yet affordable. So, decide now and check your heart rate. If you have concerns, then share them with us, and we promise to guide you through.
- Best Heart Rate Monitor for Peloton: Everything You Need To Know [With Videos]
- Heartbeet Complete: How Does It Support Healthy Circulation and Blood Pressure?
- Cardio Heart Health Powder: Recommended by Doctor’s For Heart Health!
- Peloton Alternative: Best Peloton Competitors You Can Trust [Top 8 Picks]
- Cardio Clear 7: Does it Actually Support your Heart or Just Scam!
- Garmin 935 vs 945: The Ultimate GPS Watch Comparison Guide!
- Zwift vs Peloton: Which is Better and Why? [A Complete Guide]
- Garmin 735 vs 935: Which is better? A Comparison Guide
- Best Jump Rope for CrossFit: What I Wish I Knew!